DON VALLEY BRICK WORKS QUARRY
The photograph (left) of the Don Valley Brick Works was taken in August 1982 just before it ceased operations. It shows the different lifts of extraction in the clay quarry. The quarry was originally opened in 1882, and for over 100 years high quality clay bricks were produced on the site, located within the Don Rover Valley and floodplain in the City of Toronto.
In 1984 a development company purchased the site for residential use, and they started to fill the property. A public outcry stopped the development of the site, and the property was put into public ownership (Toronto Region Conservation Authority). The photo on the right was taken in 2000 when the Aggregate Producers’ Association of Ontario presented a bronze plaque for the outstanding rehabilitation of the site. The site has been transformed to a natural environment and cultural heritage park. The quarry face in the background is considered an internationally significant geologic site, and it has been preserved for study purposes. The rehabilitation includes – gardens, wetlands, a boardwalk, a wildflower meadow; the brick making buildings and kiln chimney have been restored. More information about the Don Valley Brick Works Park is given in the Canadian Reclamation Fall 2002 issue. (Photos courtesy of S.E. Yundt)
updated: June 05, 2003